I love using quinoa in salads and I look forward to sharing some of these recipes with you in the Spring and Summer. This recipe was inspired by Thanksgiving. I share the American love of pecan nuts and cranberries, and they go really well with turkey and quinoa.
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1x 450g minced turkey (I used a mixture of breast and thigh meat)
- ½ cup finely diced onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I have used red or white, it makes no taste difference. Red looks slightly better. It is cooked just like rice, rinsed and boiled)
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, broken into pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat one tbs of the coconut oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion and garlic until soft and just turning brown. Remove from the heat and mix it with the cooked quinoa, turkey and all other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I am fairly generous with seasoning in these unless they are for my children. Shape in your hands into the desired size. You can roll it into whatever size you want – I make round meatball sized ones for my children, burger sized patties for adults and flatter canapé ones for working lunches and snacks. Add the remaining coconut oil to the pan and lightly pan fry the patties for a minute or two on each side and then place into a lightly oiled roasting tray in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.