If you are one of those people who routinely wakes up too late to make a proper breakfast and then grabs pastries and muffins en route to work: we need to talk. These are terrible for you! There is really minimal nutritional difference to eating cake for breakfast than that blueberry muffin or chocolate croissant you buy from a coffee shop. (Don’t even get me started on the individually wrapped ones that stay “fresh” for about two years.) You’re well on your way to hitting your daily bad fat and sugar quota before you even get to work. Breakfast is such a great chance to get some fibre, protein and healthy fats into your body, to kickstart your day, your digestion and your metabolism. Why not bake these delicious breakfast muffins and have them ready in your freezer? Take one out each night for the following morning. It might not taste quite as good as the coffee shop muffin, but you’re going to get addicted to how much better your morning feels. I promise!
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or for a more filling and nutritious muffin use 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/2 cup coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup of almond milk if using nut flour
- 1x 30g scoop of Lomax Nutrition lean vanilla protein powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts or pecans)
- 2 tbs seeds (I use a mix of sunflower, sesame and pumpkin)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line a 12 muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix carrots, banana, courgette, coconut oil, yogurt, and eggs together until combined.
- Mix flour(s), baking soda, protein powder, coconut sugar, oats, coconut, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, salt, and ginger in a separate mixing bowl.
- Stir carrot mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean (approx. 20 to 30 minutes).
- Enjoy! Extra yummy when spread with almond butter!